Long Weekend in Langkawi–25th to 28th Nov 2011

The Long Weekend for the Islamic New Year we spent in Langkawi. First time to this popular island and its reputation as a great escape is well deserved.

I have some early entries on Tanjung Sanctuary where we stayed and on some of the things we did.

We arrived Friday evening on Air Asia and picked up a hire car from the airport…this is recommended as things are spread out on the island. The hire car was a Perodua Kembara 4WD. The model is no longer available but is a small compact AWD vehicle – was first time in a year I had been behind a vehicle with some clearance and so looked for a little sand and dirt where I could.

We basically relaxed all weekend with only a few activities each day. Unfortunately Molly had severe sinus headaches and so couldn’t join us on the activities.

Saturday we had a look around the northern part of the Island and around lunch time did the 2 hour Mangrove Boat Tour. A boat trip leaves Tanjung Rhu Beach and goes through the Mangroves with a stop at a fish farm for lunch, eagle spotting and cave exploring. The large mangrove forest covers about 1,309ha, including the river banks up to the estuary.


Eagle spotting…The Brahminy Kite is pictured…The White Bellied Sea Eagle was also on show.



Dinner Friday and Saturday nights were at the Pantai Cenang area which is certainly the pick of all regions if you want your choice of restaurants. We had Mexican Friday night and Middle Eastern Saturday.  The meals were OK but neither place was outstanding to warrant a specific mention. 

Sunday Night we went to the night market for dinner. This was great with lots of local market food including satay, noodles and Malay style pancakes.

Sunday day we drove into Kuah (the main town) for lunch and went to a place called Charlie’s.  Is had some good reviews but we were not impressed. More a place for westerns that want to get away from Asian food and then for that their hamburgers were average.

In the afternoon we drove back via Air Terjun Temurun Waterfall. It is only a short walk to the waterfall and it has a pleasant and cool pool to swim in. However be aware that the monkeys were throwing large rocks into the pool and so you really need to watch out.


Monday we had a 2pm flight back to Kuala Lumpur so we planned to visit the Oriental Village and catch the Cable Car.  However we got there a bit after 10am and the queue was already huge. Good for us in the end as we chose to do a Segway tour which was much more fun as took us into the jungle – this was really a lot of fun.


This entry was posted in Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s